Filipin-Oz

Gawad Kalinga Founder Accused of Sexual Abuse

March 31st, 2025 · No Comments

By Benjie de Ubago

 

Gawad Kalinga founder, Tony Meloto  has been slapped with cases by  two beneficiaries of the Gawad Kalinga (GK) youth program. Meloto is accused of lascivious acts, sexual harassment and human trafficking.

The students alleged that the incidences occurred at the Enchanted Farm in Angat, Bulacan and while in France.  The complainants filed their sworn affidavits in court last November 2024.  Mr. Meloto, a Magsaysay awardee, appeared at the Department of Justice (DOJ) to submit his counter affidavit and denied all allegations.  He further asked the DOJ to dismiss the complaints.

“Not one of the witnesses of the complainant can convincingly testify to having witnessed me committing any act of sexual misconduct or abuse in the complainant or any other person.” said Meloto.

Mr. Meloto denied all allegations although admits to the “cooling gels” story, which he claims has been taken wrongly.  “I introduced the male students to the idea of using cooling gels to decrease their sexual urges” said Meloto.  He also claims having advised the female students of this practice.

In 2017, several male SEED scholars(School for Experiential & Entrepreneurial Development)  who were part of the Spartan program had already complained that Mr. Meloto had violated them. Upon receiving the complaints, the GK Board of Trustees conducted an internal investigation.  Subsequently Mr. Meloto was relieved all of his duties and he tendered his resignation as chairman of Gawad Kalinga, SEED Philippines and Enchanted Farm on October 26, 2017.  The resignation was announced to the public in January 2018.

According to Luis Jose Oquiñena, current GK Chairman,  “The Board acted discretely upon the request of the complainants to protect their privacy and keep the matter from the public. With the help of professionals including a crisis interventionalist and therapists, we also initiated a series of actions to care for the complainants.”

Judy Marvel, lawyer of the complainant said: “We believe the respondent used his authority, his power to be able to commit the alleged crimes, the alleged acts, so that is the commonality of all the critics, ‘yung’ grave abuse of power.”

Gawad Kalinga aimed to eradicate poverty in the Philippines and they turn 22 years old this year.  They have been faced with controversies in the past especially their much publicised split with Couples for Christ group in 2007. In 2015, Meloto also faced backlash over his alleged racist remark made at a University in Hawaii. In his speech, Meloto encouraged Filipina women to marry “white” men as such intermarriages would produce “cappuccino” babies. Mr. Meloto has not been connected with Gawad Kalinga in any way since 2018. .

This GK story was covered by reporter, Adrian Ayalin for Karen Davila’s show, Headstart on ANC.  The story was also featured in news programs ‘24 Oras’ (GMA) and’ TV Patrol’(ABS-CBN). Local newspapers also picked up the story.

 

3o March 2025

Tags: Lead Story